Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Repubblica di San Marino

I am in pain. Malaysian food poisoned me. After just over 1 week without rice, Malaysian food failed me. Maybe I need more cheese and tomatoes... LOL!

I'm in the room. Didn't get to send Rayyan to school 'coz I was in pain since I woke up and there was no one else free to send him so he ditched school today.

Watched Twilight DVD I bought 2 nights ago. Not too bad. Got some work done online and now, still in pain, trying to get my mind off it by blogging about my trip to San Marino on March 26th. I had the whole half a day to spare so got a few Malaysians to carpool in Bernadette's car.

Who's Bernadette? Malaysian, born in Malacca, been living in Bologna for 30 years, married a PhD holder in Nuclear Engineering.. who's Italian. She lives about 40 mins away from central Bologna and one of the Malaysian publishers stayed with her as sort of a homestay arrangement. Cheap! Euro 70 per night inclusive of dinner and transport.

She's a freelance translator for countries like China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc during fairs in Bologna. The bologna exhibition center has international fairs almost every week.

I didn't get to know her last year 'coz was busy with the whole "Sheikh" gang. But this year she asks us to call her our sister. GREAT lady.... full of kindness in her heart.

Got the chance to go to her house surrounded with apple, cherry, grape, prune, pommegranate, walnut, chestnut trees and all are just about to blossom.... beautiful!

Anyways, our agenda for the 26th March was to go to the book fair one last time to checkout anything interesting to bring back home. Then by noon, we're off to Repubblica di San Marino just about 90 mins drive south east of Bologna.

San Marino is an independent state, used to have their own currency before they changed to Euro. It was on a hilltop, almost like a Genting climb, with more or less Cameron scenery, except the valley is covered with farms, factories and houses.

The main attraction - its Centro Storico... historical center, pillared by 3 picturesqued castles... managed to only get to 2 of the castles 'coz by then it was closing time.


Above: That's the view of the 2nd castle from the first castle.
Below: View of the first castle from the 2nd castle... taken with Bernadette.


Bernadette was kind enough to send me to the airport the next day, together with Yoke Chan, the exhibitor who stayed with ther the whole week. Even made me a salad and vege soup, after bringing me to a pharmacy 'coz I was feeling giddy and nauseated. She even brought us to a farm nearby her house and bought us some fresh fruits and 100% peach juice. Lovely!

I'll always have a sister in Bologna.... :)

0 comments: