Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rayyan's Primary School is....

This morning I had one mission - to register Rayyan for Primary School next year. I've decided that we're going to a public school.

There are 3 schools in Kelana Jaya: SK Kelana Jaya 1, SK Kelana Jaya 2, SK Sri Kelana.
And there is one more school that is not in Kelana Jaya but I so wanna send Rayyan there - SK Taman Megah.

I have not been to any of these schools before. Only surveyed the exterior of the schools and did some online research on them. So this morning I wanted to see the schools for myself and register Rayyan's name straight away (it's relatively late to register for next year's intake but tulaa.. sebok sangat sampai almost terlepas.. the deadline is actually Apr 30th).

So the first trip was to SK Sri Kelana coz I thought among the 3 schools in KJ, this would be the best. There is only 1 Chinese guy in the whole of Std 1 this year. They have 4 classes, about 20-30 students per class. AND the Std 1 and Std 2 classes are in the afternoon session (WTH?). Signed up anyway but did not confirm my registration there as I wanted to look at other schools. My turn off was that some parts of the school was a bit terukla.. macam tak maintain jer..

So next I went to SK Kelana Jaya 1 & 2 (same building, different sessions, different administration..) Lagi teruk from the first school. I went up to the office, looked around at their distribution of students in Std 1 this year... 4 classes, from 15-30 per class... almost 95% Malay, no Chinese, the rest Indians... NOT SATISFIED

Then I went to SK Taman Megah. The moment I stepped into the school, I felt as if I was living my primary school life. I could sense the same feeling I used to have when I was at my SRK Kampung Tunku from 1981-1986.. the fun, the joy, the friends.. (SK Kg Tunku now is so not the school I want to send my son to). A good racial mix, I see groups of students of all races walking or playing together, all speaking mostly in English. Even the Headmistress is Chinese. This is it, man.. I thought.. so I immediately registered Rayyan for this school.

The problem was... Rayyan is #169 on the list. They have 4 classes for Std 1 and they only take in 40 students per class. So dah terlebih 9. The teacher in charge said that it's normal as they would trim the number down by rejecting those who don't live within the vicinity of the school... thank God the teacher mentioned that Kelana Jaya SS7 is in fact within the vicinity... yeay!!

Although we don't live in Taman Megah, the school is just less than 3km away from our house and it takes me 5 mins to drive to that school.

We still have to wait till August when they finalize all the placements to see that if Rayyan is confirmed for that school.

Ada banyak lagi criteria they look for to trim the number down, which includes if the kid has no other brothers or sisters in that school, etc... so ada jugak possibility of Rayyan not making it to that school.

Keeping my hopes up, praying that Rayyan will be accepted to that school. Kalau tak dapat, can still appeal...

6 comments:

elisataufik said...

Hi,

I am just wondering why you don't want to send your kids to SRK KgTunku?
My 7 yr old got SK Damansara Jaya (2) while his sister got into Kg Tunku. I am thinking of changing one of them into the same school and trying to decide which.
I am leaning towards SKDJ2, but have always heard that KgTunku is so good... *confused*

fatin said...

hi. im scouting to register my son as well for his primary school and im not keen on any school around kelana jaya. but looking at your first impression of tmn megah. i would go check it out. May i know why kg tunku is not your option? cz ppl was recommending that school as well. Im such in a dillema as KJ doesnt have choice of school that i like.. care to pls share your recent updates which school you manage to get rayyan in?
That will really help alot!!
Thanks!!

YANZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YANZ said...

Hi,
I'm also doing research on which school to send my daughter to, could you please share your thoughts on why you'd not want to send your kids SRK KT now?

I was frm SRKKT year 1989-1994 and loved it there...was wondering what is it like now

Jaime said...

Hi.. I know it's years later but did your children manage to get into SK Taman Megah?

Unknown said...

Hi kak.. Did ur son got sktm skool?